Grey Fancy Fox Quilt

IMG_7543

Do you ever feel like you are drowning in projects? It seems like I am all feast or famine–either wasting away in a creative drought or barely keeping my head above water in a sea of projects. And I like it that way most of the time. I think I am one of those crazy makers who work best under totally insane amounts of pressure.

I’m there now. Like, SUPER there. I can’t wait to share more once I get the all-clear, but until then how about a peek at my most recent finish?

Have you seen Elizabeth Hartman’s Fancy Fox pattern? Of course you have. We ALL have.

But how about a version like mine?

IMG_7578

One of my very favorite people in the world is expecting her first baby, and because she is le fancy (seriously, her style is killer) I thought a pack of grey foxes would read as subtle and sophisticated, but still speak to the foxy elements of her nursery. It was also happy coincidence that they ended up reminding me of the sweet little Grey Fox that calls Arizona home. My friend moved away to California when she got married, but I like to think these little desert foxes are a nod to her desert home.

The greys are a mix of Kona solids, Lizzy House Pearl Bracelets, V and Co Grey Ombre, Cotton and Steel metallic Netorious, Carolyn Friedlander Architextures crosshatch, and a few other random greys I liked.

IMG_7580

The back shows the quilting better (simple freehand crosshatch) and the binding with the scrappy bit thrown in. IMG_7586I’m excited to gift this to my friend this weekend, although if she doesn’t love it then I would be VERY OKAY if I had to bring this back home. Have you made this pattern before? I’d love to see your version! Tag me on instagram (@hollygetsquilty) or leave me a comment below in the comments!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Grey Fancy Fox Quilt

1. Karen says:

Will you share your pattern? I haven’t quilted before, but my daughter sent this to me (she’s expecting her first baby)… so I want to try to make one like this for her, with the help of my neighbor. I love the quilting too – the grid looks much easier than most other’s I’ve seen. Do you think I could do that by machine? I have arthritis.

• Holly Gets Quilty says:

Karen, congratulations on the new grand baby! This pattern is called Fancy Fox by Elizabeth Hartman. She sells both a printed pattern and a pdf version that you can print at home on her website. There is a link above underneath the first photo in this post that will take you right to the pdf pattern! As for the quilting, I made this entire quilt, from peicing to quilting to binding, right on a small domestic sewing machine! The simple line quilting is very easy to do on a home machine–I would just make sure it is basted well (I prefer spray baste for small quilts personally). I hope that helps! Please let me know if I can answer any other questions!

2. Karen says:

3. Nanette says:

Hello…love your grey foxes. I want to buy this pattern, can you tell me what size the block is, it doesn’t say on the pattern information on Elizabeth’s site, and although I’ve emailed her a few times and asked, I’ve had no reply. I want to make it for my granddaughter’s birthday in January and time is running out. Hope you can help…and thanks.

4. Samantha says: